Most IP phones from Polycom work with Telzio, including the VVX series and the Soundpoint series. Telzio does not offer any auto-provisioning services for Polycom, so configuring these phones is a manual process, which is described below.
Here are a few important notes to keep in mind before you get started:
- Due to the fact that Polycom has hundreds of different firmware versions for their product lines, Telzio does not offer any kind of technical support on Polycom products. For a list of products that Telzio can offer full or limited technical support on, please check http://telzio.com/shop.
- If your phone was previously used with a different provider, you should start by doing a factory reset on the phone. If the phone is locked, you may need to reinstall the software on the phone to enable it to be used with a new provider. Telzio does not provide support on locked phones, but you can refer to our support guide on how to Reinstall the Firmware on a Polycom Soundpoint.
- This guide outlines setup instructions for the Polycom VVX 411, which can also be followed to configure other models in the same series.
- In order to configure your IP phone, you’ll need to have a Telzio User.
Learn more about Getting Started with Users.
Set up a Polycom VVX IP Phone
This section walks through the process of setting up a Polycom VVX IP phone for use with Telzio.
If your device is brand new (in a factory sealed box), you can skip this step.
- Press the Home Button (the button with the little house on).
- Go to “Settings”.
- Go to “Advanced”.
- Enter the administrator password, then press “Enter”. Default password is 456.
- Go to “Administration Settings”.
- Go to “Reset to Defaults”.
- Select “Reset to Factory”, then press “Yes” to confirm.
The phone will now reboot. When it’s back up, you can proceed to the next step.
Access the Web Interface
All configuration of the Polycom VVX IP phone is done through a web browser. It is important that your computer and your IP phone is on the same network, otherwise you won’t be able to access the configuration page.
- On the phone, press the Home Button (the button with the little house on).
- Go to “Settings”.
- Go to “Status”.
- Go to “Network”.
- Select “TCP/IP Parameters”, then take note of the phone’s IP address.
- On your computer, open a web browser and enter the following in the address field:
For example, if the IP address of the phone is 192.168.0.110, you enter https://192.168.0.110
Please note that https is required – not http.
- Log in as “Admin“, and use the default password “456″.
The next steps will configure the phone with your user credentials. If you have not yet created a user for the phone, you should go do that now. Your user credentials are not the same as your Account Owner login for the Telzio website.
- From the top-menu, select “Simple Setup”.
- Unfold the “Time Synchronization” section, and set the following:
Alternate SNTP Server pool.ntp.org Time Zone Select your local time zone
- Unfold the “SIP Server” section, and set the following:
Address sip.telzio.com Port 5060
- Leave the “SIP Outbound Proxy” section.
- Unfold the “SIP Line Identification” section, and set the following:
Display Name The full name of the user Address The user’s username Authentication User ID The user’s username Authentication Password The user’s password Label A descriptive label for the line. For example the user’s name and/or extension
- Click on “Save”.
The phone should now be ready for use, and you should see the Label you write in Step 5 in the phone’s display with a green checkmark.
Configure BLF Keys
The Polycom VVX phone has the ability to display the status of other user’s in it’s display (Busy Lamp Field), so you know who’s available and who’s currently on a call. This is handy for both speed dial and when transferring calls.
- From the top menu, select “Utilities” and then “Line Key Configuration”.
- Click the “Add Line Key Function” button.
- Set the following:
Type Static BLF Label A descriptive label for the key – for example the user’s name and/or extension. Address The username of the user you want to display status for. The username, not the extension.
- Press “Save”.
- Repeat Step 1 – 4, for each button you want to add.