Multi-Line Phone Systems: Top Features & Phones
January 14, 2020
December 11, 2019
June 30, 2021
June 30, 2021
A multi-line phone system has long been a necessity for any organization with the need to make and receive simultaneous calls among two or more employees. Today, multi-line VoIP phone systems are the most cost effective, scalable and flexible modern choice for having a single phone line that allows multiple users to make or answer calls at the same time.
The PBX system, which provides the ability to route calls within the business, has also evolved. By choosing a VoIP system that is also a cloud-based PBX system, a small business can enjoy a host of needed functionalities. These include things like application integrations, scalability, remote workers, and over 50 calling features at a manageable cost.
A multi-line VoIP phone system offers all the features that any business needs such as caller ID, voicemail, call waiting, call transferring and advanced features like auto attendant, custom hold music, conference calling, and queues. The list of features also includes things like the ability to digitally send faxes and voicemails to individual email inboxes.
Before we get into the details of this long list of features, it’s important to understand how simple it is to set up a multi-line VoIP phone system.
How to Set Up a Multi-Line Phone System
Setting up a multi-line VoIP phone system is simple. A small business only needs a basic internet connection and a computer to set up a VoIP phone system. Multi-line desk phones can be optional with our web and mobile apps.
Telzio makes setup a click-and-drag process using a modern interface to customize phone services. Once you have an idea of how you want your incoming calls to be routed, you can be up and running with a complete phone system in minutes.
The first step is to choose a phone number, which you can get from Telzio if you need one, or you can port (transfer) your existing numbers through a simple process. You’re then ready to add new users to the phone system.
The next step is to create a call flow for incoming call routing. A call flow is a visual user interface map of features that tell your phone system how to handle incoming calls. You can build auto attendants, call queues, hold music and announcements, and other powerful features. Using Telzio, you can build the tools that will enable your business to handle higher call volumes and deliver better customer experiences.
Multi-Line Phone System Features
Phone numbers are the backbone of every multi-line phone system. In the digital age, many businesses operate nationally and internationally. Toll-free numbers make it easier for national and international callers to reach your business. Using our cloud PBX platform, you can manage multiple toll free numbers and local phone numbers right through your browser.
You get the true flexibility of the multi-line VoIP system when you dig deeper into our configuration functionality for extensions, routing, and call flows using your phone numbers. Some things you can do through the call flow include:
- Create automated phone menus known as auto attendants that greet your callers and route them to the right employee or department
- Insert announcements during hold times to provide information like business hours, address, etc.
- Implement caller ID so people see your business name along with your phone number on their caller ID
- Implement hunt groups that route calls to employees or teams in a certain order
- Route calls based on business hours or a predetermined schedule based on time of day, seasonal holidays, vacations, etc
- Add call queues that can place an unlimited number of callers into a hold queue until the next employee is available to answer
- Upload custom hold music, record calls, and announce the caller’s position in the queue
- Add the mobile app to employees’ cell phones, and provide ability to choose the outbound caller ID number
- Create shared main company/individual voicemails and forward voicemails to email
- Enable voicemail transcription so users can read the voicemail as a text
- Create conference bridges to host conference calls with more than 3 people
- Define user permission levels for system components such as the ability to access call recordings, billing, etc.
With our capability to support unlimited simultaneous calls / multiple lines, you can eliminate rollover lines. In addition to configuration and routing, here are considerations around devices.
What Are the Best Multi-Line Phones?
While the right phone is the key to unlocking all the potential of a multi-line VoIP phone system for each user, they’re not all up to the task. IP phones will provide the most reliable call quality when it’s connected directly to the network. But easily accessing all the system’s features is dependent on the phone’s design.
One of the leading providers of IP multi-line phones is Yealink, which offers several phones to meet different user and business needs. Two of their best multi-line phones are the Yealink T46S, and the Yealink DECT IP cordless phone.
The T46S is a multi-line desk phone that looks and acts as any other multi-line desk phone, but also provides quite a few added features and capabilities including:
- A large touch screen for
- HD Voice technology
- Gigabit Ethernet technology
- Bluetooth and Wi-Fi integration
- Soft Keys for user-defined functions
- 10 programmable Line keys
- Accommodation for up to 16 SIP accounts
- Headset port
- Other expandability options and features
The W60P is a high-performance SIP cordless phone system that features the W60B base and W56H handset. Designed for businesses where portability and mobility are paramount, the base supports up to eight handsets, SIP accounts and concurrent voice calls for broad scalability. Advanced Li-ion batteries maximize reliability by providing:
- 30 hours of talk time
- Six days (400 hours) of standby time
- 10-min charge time for two hours of talk time
Telzio system users can decide whether they want to use physical or virtual phones (IP phones) that connect via the internet. All settings can be pre-programmed by the provider and users can access a webphone built into the website that’s accessible by logging into the Telzio website.
Integrating Other Apps with Your Phone System
One of the advantages of using Telzio is the ability to integrate your phone system with other business applications like CRM and ERP. Other useful integrations you can set up with your multi-line VoIP phone system include:
- Team Chat Integration with Slack
- Storage Integration with Google Drive / Dropbox
- Payment Processor Integration with Stripe
- Google Sheets Integration
Unlike the multi-line phone system, integrations may require the technical skill of an IT specialist or programmer to set it up. Telzio lets you set up some specific integrations using Zapier without the need for programming. More custom integrations can be done via the Telzio API.
While this blog summarizes the process of setting up a Telzio Multi-Line VoIP system for your business, it only scratches the surface of the customization possibilities. The big takeaway is that anyone can set up their own Telzio multi-line cloud PBX phone system for today. As your business needs change and grow, the system provides nearly limitless scalability, flexibility, and customization options to meet the needs of tomorrow.