In this article, you’ll learn how to send a fax online, and why internet fax is more secure than using a traditional fax machine.
How to Send a Fax Online
Follow these steps to send a fax online.
- Sign into Telzio.
- Click on the fax composer in the bottom right corner of the page.
- Enter the fax number where you want the document sent.
- Drag the fax document into the composer.
- Click Send Fax.
You can find the delivered fax under Faxes on your dashboard, along with all your other faxes.
How to Send a Fax by Email
Follow these steps to send a fax by email.
- Find your Email to Fax address, which is shown on your Plans & Numbers page. Once you’re on the Plans & Numbers page, click on the fax number to find your Email to Fax address, which will look something like ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’.
- In your email application, start composing a new email and paste the Email to Fax address in the ‘To’ field.
- Enter the fax number where you want to send the fax in the ‘Subject’ field.
- To include a fax cover sheet, type the content in the body of the email. Anything entered here, including your email signature, will create a cover page preceding your fax document.
- Attach the fax as a PDF to the email.
- After you hit send, you’ll receive an email confirmation that your fax is in process, and a second email when the fax delivery has been completed.
- Save your Email to Fax address in your contacts so it’s ready for your next fax.
Next, let’s touch on how you can manage incoming faxes.
In addition to sending faxes online, you can also receive faxes online. Incoming faxes are sent to your email, and you can have them delivered to one person or a group. What’s more, you can tag, comment, and forward faxes to a coworker. With online faxes, you don’t have to spend time scanning in faxes, storing them onto a drive, and then emailing them. All your faxes are stored in a central location online, and it’s easy to download and share the faxes from there.
Internet Fax Numbers
With a virtual fax service from Telzio, you can use both local phone numbers and toll free numbers for faxing. In fact, you can convert any one of your phone numbers into a fax line, even temporarily to send a one-off fax.
Follow these steps to turn your phone number into a fax line:
- Navigate to Plans & Numbers on your dashboard.
- Click on the phone number.
- Under Inbound Call Destination, select “Fax”.
- Specify a fax destination (email, user, or group).
To turn the phone number from a fax line back into a regular phone line, simply repeat the steps and select the desired call destination.
How Secure is Fax?
Fax is mistakenly seen as a highly secure method of delivering a document, and is still prevalently used in the government, healthcare, and legal industries. It may concern you to know that those security standards are outdated. If you’re sending sensitive personal data, you’re better off sending it by email than by fax. In reality, email is more secure than fax. But, sometimes sending a fax is still necessary. If you do need to send a fax, send it over the internet. Sending faxes online is more secure than sending faxes over a landline.
The fact is, nothing is 100% secure. A VoIP fax line can still be hacked or spoofed just like email can be, but an analog fax line is the least secure of all. When it comes to confidential material, analog faxes are the easiest to intercept. Besides the fact that anyone can walk by a fax machine and grab the document, analog lines are easier to access. With an analog fax line, the perpetrator only needs to tap into the telephone utility box at the street level using a low-cost device from Amazon to be able to intercept all incoming and outgoing faxes.
With an internet fax line it’s more of a challenge, because it’s not as easy to hack into a data server that could be located anywhere and has more security protocols built in. If you’re truly concerned about the confidentiality of a message, an encrypted email with a digital signature is the most secure form of communication available.
If you absolutely must have a fax machine, you can still do that with an internet fax service by connecting an ATA adaptor.
Internet Fax Service from Telzio
We know that moving away from fax completely may take some time, and is still necessary for you in order to conduct business with your customers and vendors.
With Telzio, you can send and receive faxes online and by email. Telzio combines your online fax service with your other phone services, making it easy to manage all your calls, voicemails, texts, and faxes in one place.
At the end of the day, faxing using your old fax machine that’s hooked to a landline is not the most secure method. If you must, use your computer to fax online where it’s more secure and convenient.
See how easy it is to send a fax from your computer with a free trial of our internet fax service .