Autoprovision Polycom IP phones
How to configure your Polycom device with Telzio's auto provisioning service.
When you set up a phone using Telzio's autoprovisioning service, we automatically submit it to Polycom's central ZTP service. This lets Polycom know, that if they ever get any provisioning requests from your phone, then they should redirect that request to Telzio.
Your phone is manufactured with an encrypted certificate from the factory, which is unique to your phone and it's MAC address only. This certificate is then used to prove the legitimacy of the phone's requests.
When a new phone (or one that has just been factory reset) connects to the internet, it will first contact Polycom and then get redirected to Telzio's auto provisioning servers, where it will receive its configuration.
Only phones running UCS 3.3.2 or later, and with a factory installed certificate, can connect to Polycom ZTP. Phones running UCS 4.0.8 will automatically try to connect to Polycom ZTP, where older versions need a small configuration change after being Factory Reset. See the Troubleshooting section if your phone does not get provisioned automatically.
Connect your Polycom device
Before you begin, make sure your phone has been factory reset.
- Navigate to Devices and click New Device. You must be logged in as Account Owner, Administrator or a user with permissions to manage Devices.
- Give your phone a recognizable name (ie, Front Desk Phone), and enter the MAC address of the phone. You can find the MAC address on a white label on the back of the phone.
- Select Polycom as the brand, and select the model of the phone.
- Select which User you want to configure onto the phone, and optionally select a Device Group.
- Click Add Device
Verify Polycom ZTP
To verify that Telzio was able to add the phone to Polycom's central ZTP service, scroll down to the section named Polycom ZTP (Zero Touch Provisoning).
If you see a green checkmark with the text Enabled, then you are ready to connect your phone to the internet.
Factory reset Polycom VVX
You can factory reset your VVX phone via the phone's menu or by pressing some of the dialpad's keys during startup.
Reset via the phone's menu
- On the phone, navigate to Menu > Settings > Advanced > Administration > Settings > Reset to Default
- Select Reset to Factory (You may be asked to enter the phone's administrator password - this is by default "456".)
Reset by pressing keys at startup
If you do not have access to the phone's on-screen menus, it may be necessary to force a factory reset during startup.
- Power off the phone and wait 10 seconds
- Power the phone on and be prepared to press and hold the keys listed in the table below
- When you see the phone's welcome screen with a countdown, immediately press and hold the key combination for your phone's model
- When asked, enter 456 as the password and press OK
- VVX 300, 310, 400, 410, 500, 600 - Press and Hold: 1, 3, 5
- VVX 1500 - Press and Hold: 4, 6, 8 and *
Factory reset Polycom Soundpoint
You can factory reset a Polycom Soundpoint via the phone's menu or by pressing and holding a key combination when the phone is starting up.
Reset via the phone's menu
- Select Menu > Setting > Advanced
- Enter 456 as the default password and press Enter
- Navigate to Admin > Settings > Reset to Default > Reset Local Config
- Click Yes
Reset via key combination
- Power your phone off
- Get ready to press the key combination for your phone's model (listed below), and power the phone on
- When you see the welcome screen with a countdown, immediately press and hold they key combination until you see a password prompt
- Enter 456 as the password and press OK
- SoundPoint IP 500, 501, 550, 560, 600, 601, 650, 670 - Press and Hold: 4, 6, 8 and *
- SoundPoint IP 321, 331, 335, 450, 5000, 7000 - Press and Hold: 1, 3, 5, 7
- SoundPoint IP 4000, 6000 - Press and Hold 6, 8 and *
Check the following if your phone doesn't get provisioned after a few reboots.
Is the phone connected to the internet?
Use the phone's on-screen menu to verify that it can connect to the internet. You can check if it has an internal IP address from your network.
This can typically be found under Menu > Status > NetworkTCP/IP Parameters
Is ZTP supported?
Verify that your phone's firmware version is version 3.3.2 or newer.
Go to Menu > Status > Platform Application > Main
Is ZTP enabled?
If your phone's firmware version is between 3.3.2 and 4.0.8, you need to manually enable Polycom ZTP.
- Power off the phone, wait a few seconds, then power it back on
- During the welcome screen, press Setup
- Enter 456 as the password
- Select Server Menu and scroll down to ZTP
- Press Edit and change the setting to Enabled
- Press Exit a few times and then Save & Reboot
Does your phone have a Factory Certificate?
To use Polycom's ZTP service, the phone must still have it's factory certificate. If the phone's disk was ever formatted this certificate was also deleted - and can not be restored (don't format your phone's disk).
- Select Menu > Status > Platform > Phone
- Scroll down to Device Certificate
If this is not set to Factory Installed, the phone won't be able to connect to ZTP and it be will be necessary to manually enter the server details.
All Polycom VVC and Polycom SoundPoint models running UCS version 3.3.2 or higher, and have a Factory Installed device certificate can be auto provisioned with Telzio and Polycom ZTP.
If your phone's firmware is older or you do no longer have a Factory Installed device certificate, you can still use Telzio's autoprovisioning feature, by entering Telzio's provisioning server URL into the phone manually, along with the device specific credentials that are created when you add the phone under Devices.
While all models should work, Telzio is continuously testing and experimenting with more models. These models are the ones you will see available when you add your phone to your Telzio account under Devices.
If you do not see your specific model on the list, choose the closest one.
Manually enter provisioning server details
If your phone does not support ZTP (Zero Touch Provisioning), you can still enable auto provisioning by manually entering Telzio's provisioning server address, along with the phone's provisioning credentials.
Firmware version 4.0.0 and up
- Find the phone's IP address, by navigating to Menu > Settings > Status > Network > TCP/IP Parameters
- Open your web browser, and enter the IP address in your address field, beginning with https://
- Log in as Administrator using the default password 456
- Navigate to Settings > Provisioning Server
- Enter the Server Addess, Server User and Server Password (Leave all other settings alone. These settings are unique to this particular phone, and can be found on the details page for the phone under Devices.)
- Click Save
Firmware version 3.3.2 to 3.9.9
- Power on the phone and press Setup as soon as you see the welcome screen
- Enter the default password 456
- Navigate to Server Menu and enter the following settings:
- Server Type: - HTTP
- Server Address: - provision.telzio.com
- Server User: - The autoprovision username for this device can be found on the details page of the phone under Devices
- Server Password: - The autoprovision password for this device
- Press OK
If neither of these methods work, you can still manually configure the phone. See the guides for Polycom VVX and Polycom Soundpoint.